Awarded South African stars at #MAMA2015
The fifth uplifting edition of the MTV Africa Music Awards KwaZulu-Natal was a huge success in the list of Awards from the continent. Saluting and championing African music, MTV Africa Music Awards debuts in Durban for a Second time.
Nominated Artists from around the African continent came together to celebrate and be celebrated at the #MAMA2015 Award event. MAMA is a definitive annual celebration of African talent, recognizing and rewarding musicians and achievers who have made the most impact on African youth culture over the last 12 months.
Durban ICC was packed with celebrities and fans, a very nervous and excited list of artists came out in their flashy and others in their not so creative wears. It was certain South Africa would win some awards, but for the first time it was a very hard number to pick, as the categories had strong contenders.
The electrified event staged performances that moved the crowd and kept social networks ablaze, from Stunning collaborations between artists of different genres saw NE-YO take to the stage with Seyi Shay, 2Face collaborating with Bucie, Sauti Sol pairing up with Yemi Alade and Patoranking swapping beats with K.O.
The show ended on a high with a jubilant medley mash-up by Artist of the Decade winners P-Square, featuring hit tracks “Personally”, “Chop My Money”, “Alingo” and “Shekini”. Other performers included DJ Fisherman, NaakmusiQ, DJ Tira, Anselmo Ralph, Danger from Big Nuz, Duncan, Burna Boy, Stonebwoy, Da LES, Diamond, Flavour, Toofan, D’Banj, Davido, Uhuru, Black Motion and Cassper Nyovest.
South African stars at #MAMA2015 from different categories:
- Cassper Nyovest nabbed the Best Hip Hop award
South Africa also got featured in some shared Awards, that still amplified the efforts of leaders and creatives:
- Best Collaboration: AKA, Burna Boy, Da LES & JR: “All Eyes On Me” (SA/Nigeria)
- Saran Kaba Jones andS’Bu Mavundla shared equal honours for the MTV Base Leadership award.
Commenting after the show, Alex Okosi, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN) Africa, said: “Africa is a continent of the now and the future; tonight was testament to that. MAMA 2015 represented and reflected the abundant amount of creativity and passion this continent breeds.”
The MAMA 2015 coincided with the nationwide celebration of the late Nelson Mandela’s birthday, a fact that was touched on by artists in the show.
Walking the red carpet at the awards were nominees Bonang Matheba, Chameleone, Dreamteam, HHP, Riky Rick, Samini, OC Ukeje, Bebe Cool, Mpumi, Jovi, Uhuru and Vanessa Mdee.
You may also like these articles
- Thousands of spectators to flock to Dundee July
- Ithala renews Dundee July sponsorship
- Financial compliance heavy-weight appointed at Ithala Soc Limited.
- Business Investment meeting to connect startups to funding #BIM2018.
- Allan Gray ticks the gray box with Father’s Share
- How to leverage social media to land your dream job
- Castle milk stout encourages South Africans to “GET IT BACK” this Africa month