Absa will once again be recognising and rewarding teamwork and perseverance at the 2016 Absa Cape Epic with the #ConquerAsOne campaign. At each stage of the race, an extraordinary #ConquerAsOne moment will be identified and recognised, where a team showed immense human spirit to overcome their own personal challenges to conquer that stage together.
During this year’s race, a panel of judges will select one #ConquerAsOne moment on each day of the race. The winning pair will be announced in the Absa Pride Hospitality area where they will receive a unique #ConquerAsOne jersey to wear proudly during the next day’s stage. At the end of the week, the judges will then select the overall #ConquerAsOne moment, with the winning team walking away with an Absa Pride entry for the 2017 Absa Cape Epic.
Matshepo Majola, General Manager: Group Marketing for Barclays Africa commented: “Everyone has their own story of how they overcame their personal challenges in conquering the Absa Cape Epic. That story however, is almost always one of teamwork. Through #ConquerAsOne, Absa is urging everyone involved in the race to prosper together, from family and friends to race supporters and fellow riders. After all, the Absa Cape Epic can only be tackled as a team.”
One of the outstanding #ConquerAsOne moments from 2015 was the riding team made up of Jason Van’t Slot, the first person with Cystic Fibrosis to ever complete the Absa Cape Epic, and his partner Phillip Sassie.
On stage 5, Jason was already nursing a chest infection when he was forced to run down the Plumb Pudding Hill track due to a backlog of riders. He subsequently strained a muscle in his knee which continued to trouble him throughout the race. Beating the pain threshold required immense perseverance. Partner, Phillip Sassie, continued to motivate him and push him forward when he began toying with the idea of dismounting and walking. With Jason’s unwavering determination and Phillip’s resolute motivation, the pair raced away and conquered the Absa Cape Epic together.
“The #ConquerAsOne campaign celebrates those standout moments of pure human spirit but it is not only the winners who deserve to be recognised. Everyone who completes the Absa Cape Epic deserves to be celebrated. On behalf of Absa I wish every rider and team every success in their quest to prosper in taking on the world’s toughest mountain bike race,” concluded Majola.
How to Get Involved:
1. Select your favourite #ConquerAsOne moment, it can be a staff member, a rider, a supporter – anything where people conquered as one.
2. Email your #ConquerAsOne moment to Kirsti Lyall on firstname.lastname@example.org or send a short motivation on social media using the hashtag #ConquerAsOne
The 2016 Absa Cape Epic takes place from 13 to 20 March 2016 and is set to be as gruelling and rewarding as ever!
You may also like these articles
- Matriculants: do your homework before signing up for tertiary study
- Use the holidays to kickstart your 2019 career change plans
- Boeing selects two RSA students to join its (IBIP) in Seattle
- Don’t fall victim to ‘leisure sickness’ these holidays
- THE UNTOLD STORY – Dr Joseph Shabalala & Ladysmith Black Mambazo
- 5 tips to landing (and thriving in) your first job after graduation
- Back to school hacks that will save you money