Joburg ‘land scammer’ sentencing today
A former City of Joburg employee is expected to be sentenced today at the Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court for his involvement in the illegal sale of state land in Lenasia.
Sifiso Handsome Litau resigned from his post during internal disciplinary proceedings where three witnesses who had bought land from him were giving evidence against him.
In July he was found guilty of illegally selling land in Lenasia Extension 13.
Two other people – David Mofokeng, known as “Lepolisa”, and Thabo Moloi – were arrested in connection with the scheme in July and released on R5 000 bail each.
They were arrested during a sting operation while allegedly trying to sell state land in the area to Hawks investigators.
Pastor Mandla Dlamini (76) is serving a three-year sentence for his part in the crime.
Married couple Muzwamandla and Elizabeth Poto were found guilty on fraud charges in November 2013 and sentenced to three years’ correctional supervision. They were also given 12 months’ imprisonment for trespassing, suspended for 12 months.
The alleged kingpin of the syndicate, Richard Zikhali, faces 94 counts of fraud and money laundering. He is to be tried in the Johannesburg Specialised Commercial Crime Court soon.
Litau’s sentencing procedure was postponed on Monday after he did not arrive at court.
He had allegedly been injured in an armed robbery over the weekend and was unable to appear in court.
You may also like these articles
- Developing children’s EQ crucial for future success in rapidly changing world
- AKA – Fela In Versace Ft. Kiddominant
- Crime response app builds a community to get South Africans help, fast
- RADA Inspire creates a shift in perspective and greater understanding for those behind the wheel
- 67 Blankets for Nelson Mandela Day set their sights on breaking a 27km Scarf world record
- Application window now open for 6-month internship at Boeing in Seattle
- Thousands of spectators to flock to Dundee July
Developing children’s EQ crucial for future success in rapidly changing world https://t.co/MljBWXMXDZFollow