why you should always avoid drying your clothes indoors

Living high up in a block of flats with no outdoor space for a washing line? A bit too skint to use the public tumble dryers? Or just residing in the UK with zero sunny days for pegging things out in the garden? Whatever the reason, we’re all guilty of drying clothes indoors.

But it turns out that popping your wet towels, socks and undies on a clotheshorse in the living room for a few hours could actually be pretty bad for you.

The Asthma Society of Ireland has issued a warning urging people not to dry their laundry indoors, as the added moisture to the room can lead to the growth of mould, and a whole lot of health-related issues.

Forever suffering from coughs and colds? Maybe it’s time to start taking your washing to the tumble dryers. A moist, mouldy living space can really affect your breathing – particularly if you have asthma or a weakened immune system. It can even affect skin-related problems, too.

Pheena Kenny, of the Asthma Society of Ireland, told RTÉ, “Moist environments encourage the growth of mould which can release ‘seeds’ called spores. The spores can cause allergic reactions in some people. Mould and fungal spores are often invisible to the naked eye.”

“Normally, when people breathe in these spores, their immune system helps get rid of them by coughing or sneezing. If you aren’t sensitive to mould, you may never even experience a reaction. But for some people with asthma who are sensitive to mould spores, it can act as a trigger, causing asthma symptoms to get worse.”

The solution? Whenever possible, get your washing dried outside or in a tumble dryer in a well-ventilated indoor space away from bedrooms and living areas. And remember to keep an eye out for mould or mildew popping up in damp and humid places – particularly bathrooms, kitchens and basements.

Ugh, adult life.


Previous Article

What your nose shape says about you

Next Article

Benefits of drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning

Related Posts